Saturday 18 February 2012

Lin's infamous 3 pointer over the Raptors

Linsanity continues! Toronto was able to witness Jeremy Lin’s talents on Tuesday night at the Air Canada Centre. He definitely attracted the Chinese community of Toronto, which made the ACC a full house that night.

I sat at home watching the game while a friend of mine was watching it live and texting me, “I’ve never seen so many Asian people at a Raptors game before!” Apparently there were more fans rooting for the Knicks (or Jeremy Lin should I say), rather than the Raptors (poor, poor Raptors). Personally, as a semi-Raptors fan and supporter of anything from Toronto, I was rooting for the Raptors… but then I was even more interested to watch because of the Jeremy Lin hype. I mean… what was he going to do now?

…Then there it was. Last quarter, 15 seconds left, tied game, and the ball is in Jeremy Lin’s hands. Literally at the edge of my seat, I witnessed him score a 3 pointer which just amazed me. I could only imagine how the Raptors felt after having a lead for almost the entire game. It was such a mix of emotions. On one hand, I was thinking, “Great, another lost” and on the other, I was just amazed at the risk that Jeremy Lin took. I mean, after that move there would be an even BIGGER craze in Toronto for him.

According to the Globe and Mail, news of his winning shot was featured on Toronto’s Ming Pao and Sing Tao websites. It was stated that the Canadian Chinese Youth Athletics Association sent 300 members to the game and as well, they were planning on buying tickets for the next game in Toronto. Interesting bit at the end of the article however…

This was too much for Tarek Fatah, the Pakistani-born Canadian activist who has written about multiculturalism. “What is it with Toronto’s Chinese community? They’re cheering the Knicks win against hometown Raptors ‘cos their star LIN is a Taiwanese?” Mr. Fatah said on Twitter. “I’m sorry, but when Canadians come waving Taiwan flags in Toronto, it pisses me off.”

As “Canadian” as one may be, I think that at the end of the day… if someone from the same culture as him/her does anything positive and/or impactful (such as so), he/she would feel a sense of pride. I really don’t think it should be a problem for others to be proud of where they came from.

Reference: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/torontos-chinese-community-already-scrambling-for-tickets-to-next-lin-game/article2339252/

No comments:

Post a Comment