Tuesday 8 May 2012

Immigration Key to Canada's Future


http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/time-to-lead/


Globe and Mail ongoing series and discussions on issues that matter most to Canadians has chosen the topic of immigration and explores into its importance to Canadian future. Well for starters, here are a few key "facts and figures" (derived from throughout various articles from the ongoing series):

  • Between now and 2021, a million jobs are expected to go unfilled across Canada
  • When immigrants arrive, they not only fill gaps in the work force but pay taxes and spend money on housing, transport and consumer goods
  • Studies show that their offspring tend to be among the country's best-educated and initiative-taking young people
  • Today, there are 4.2 working-aged Canadians for every senior citizen, making contributions to cover retirees' pensions and health care. By 2031, that ratio will be cut in half. The tax base will shrink, growth will slow and labour shortages will become even more dire
  • Within two decades, barring an improbable baby boom, immigration will account for all population growth
  • With 34 million people, this country remains highly underpopulated, for all its vast geography
  • Recent immigrants earn only about 60 per cent as much as the Canadian-born
  • Among those in their prime working years, immigrants are nearly 60 per cent more likely to have a university degree than those born here (37 per cent compared with 22)

Since launching the focus series just yesterday, there has been a multitude of the comments from the general public. Not surprisingly, the question is placed on the keyword: multiculturalism - is it good or bad for Canada?


As a new breed multicultural marketer myself, how can I possibly not share my views as I stick glued to my screen on all the latest comments that are coming in. But there is one thing that is really pestering me. As a second generation Chinese Canadian, I never really understood why there is a concept that insists on the importance for immigrants/visible minorities to fully assimilate into Canadian culture. The article nails it spot on when they say that our nation's greatest challenge is to understand and embrace the ways immigrants will reshape this country. Integration and not assimilation is the key to social harmony to land of multicultural ethnicities - no one should have to be coerced into giving up their home country culture in order to have the rights to be fully entitled to to enjoy the beauty of being a part of Canada. 


For crying out loud, I was born here and I really, most genuinely do not know how to answer what "Canadian culture" means. I've been saying this since I've had the intellectual capacity to think on my own, "Being Canadian is great, because the people here embrace me for who I am" There is no greater place in the world to be a Chinese person than in Canada, and I mean that sincerely from the bottom of my heart. It is due to this very reason that drives my passion for multicultural marketing, particular with the focus on the Chinese segment. 


Unfortunately, my appreciation for Canadian diversity on the social front is not always consistently reflected in our workplace and Corporate setting. To raise an example, today I was at a corporate networking event for a prestige book launch in Downtown Toronto, I just really can't help but notice that I, along with the my group, were among the only Chinese face in the crowd of senior level executives. So...in the face of a "looming labour shortage and improbable baby boom", is this how our Canadian businesses respond? 


Perhaps I shall end this blog post with on slightly more positive and hopeful note:


“We're losing the idea of building the country.” Prof. Studin argues that the country should set its sights on swelling to as many as 100 million people. This new Canada would become a far more influential consumer market, a more diverse and imaginative producer and a much more robust and self-sustaining culture. Its voice would become more prominent in international affairs.




Cheers to Canada's future!

No comments:

Post a Comment